The Lusk Clan

The Lusk Clan

Sunday, May 4, 2014

My Hairbowed Dream

I have always wanted to be a mom.

Literally.

When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, "A mom" is what I would say.

So, it wouldn't come as a big shock that only two months after being married I started in on my husband to start a family.

The following is a true story.

December 2008.

Setting: Cottage Hill Baptist Church Mobile, AL  Balcony

Plot: Forty or so small children arranged in nice neat rows on stage dressed in their Christmas best. Khakis, sweater vests, button down shirts and bow ties for the boys. Ruffled dresses, panty hose, shiny black shoes and big hair bows for the girls. They were singing some song about baby Jesus, but I couldn't quit looking at the hair bows.

I leaned over to Scott and told him how cute they were. Wouldn't it be so fun to have your own little hairbowed girl on the stage? Singing about baby Jesus? We could dress her up and take pictures?

He wasn't convinced and made me wait another eight months before deciding we could try to start our family.

Fast forward to today. Sitting on the front row at church that memory vividly returned.

Waiting on the front row, waiting for service to start and waiting for our hairbowed little girl to take the stage...minus the hairbow (do headbands still count? I'm going to say yes.)
Fifth from the Right with her white and blue dress

We didn't know they were singing until the Wednesday before and had no idea what they were singing. Maggie just kept telling us the song was Hosanna. I ran through all the Hosanna songs I knew and never came up with the right one.

We gave her a pep talk this morning:

Have fun!

Sing pretty!

Watch your teacher!

Be still!

Smile!

We encouraged her. We instructed her. We praised her. She was ready.

Then the first service started and hilarity for our families row ensued.
(Forgive the fuzzy camera phone...we'll take whatever pics we could get.)



She yawned.



Several times.

She scratched.




Her knee. Her head. Her elbow.




She played with her hair. Pulled it, twirled it, spun it.

She even took her shoe off at one point and nearly brought her neighbor and herself down.


She looked like a deer in the head lights and marginally sang the words at the appropriate times.

Hand motions? No way!

And I loved every single minute of it!

We blamed the first service on nerves and the unknown.

Because by the second service she nailed it! Unfortunately, we had videotaped the first service debacle so much we didn't have much space to get the great participation from the second service. Oh well.




I'm so proud of our girl! I'm so thankful she is mine. God reminds me in the smallest things how incredibly blessed I am. I'm thankful for the reminders, and for the dreams that come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment