The Lusk Clan

The Lusk Clan

Tuesday, October 8, 2013


Every Monday I have big plans. 

I'm going to do better with my diet.

I'm going to keep up with my laundry.

I'm going to watch less Hulu and spend more time with the girls.

I'm going to the gym EVERYDAY!

Yesterday was no different. I had told Scott the afternoon before my workout plans for the week. Zumba followed by a mile on the track. I had been running 5ks before finding out I was pregnant with Levi and I really want to get back to that. So, my plan is to start slow and work my way back up there, hoping that it doesn't take the two months it took to get me there. Then I happily sent him on his way to pick up dinner and a cupcake. It was after all only Sunday and the diet thing always starts on Monday, duh!

On the way home, our van experienced some electrical issues that it had been having trouble with, so my hubby pulled into a gas station with the girls in tow to restart the van and work out the electrical kinks. However, when he attempted to start it again, the dear van decided it wasn't going to start. At all. 

So, after hours of work by my incredible father-in-law, who dropped everything and drove the hour to get to us to help, our van was towed to a dealership and my Monday plans flew out the window. (Along with lots of money to fix the dumb thing!)

Because my plans for exercise were gone, I'd decided to make the best of the rest of the plans and started the morning with a bowl of Multi-grain Cheerios. Check! Eat healthier, done.

With laundry in progress I decided to take my girls out for a walk. Something we never do, because, well, because I just don't like to. My girls however, love outside so this was me spending time with them. I worried about cars coming and the girls stopping or coming back to me when I directed them to, but this was all for naught. They did incredibly! 

We saw so much nature. Including a dead log and rock that Maggie told me, "Mom, these are just like toys! I want to stay and play here forever, and ever, and ever." We saw fire hydrants and spelled out "water" and "STOP" several times. (Practicing the old ABC's, you know.) We heard dogs that sound like wolves, birds that sound like geese, and Jeeps that sound like Semitrucks. 

The rest of the day the girls played so well together. They usually wake up from their nap asking for the other, and always greet each other with a kiss and hug. It's terribly sweet. We had a great time playing puzzles, cleaning the house, making lunch, playing princesses. It was a great day. 

Then we got the mail. The hospital had sent its bill for my recent stay. Our co pay for labor and delivery stays is only $100. So it wasn't the bill itself, but rather the reminder of the fact I had a baby a month ago, and didn't get to bring him home. 

Most days I do pretty well. I can see God's grace on my life, despite hardships and trouble that ensue. Then unexpected things happen and I'm sad all over again. I let myself be for a bit, and I think that's okay. 

Then I counted my blessings. Among them being these two beauties.

I'm taking the challenge set out by Ashley Ann from Under the Sycamore to #embracethecamera. Instead of worrying about my hair, double chin or outfit, I choose to be present with my girls and document the memories we make. Today's challenge was Smiles. Obviously, smiles are tough to elicit at the same time from these two, but I love the moments we made while sitting in the kitchen sink watching for Daddy to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment